This was a former 50's era Kan-O-Tex Filling Station.
According to a 1934 article in the Galena, KS. newspaper, a new gas station was constructed on this site following the demolition of the Banks Hotel. Based on local research, this building eventually became an Kan-O-Tex filling station.
The old Kan-O-Tex service station at the north end of Galena's Main Street was been purchased by 4 women from Galena: Betty Courtney, Melba Rigg, Renee Charles and Judy Courtney. They are helping lead the rebirth of Galena's stretch of Historic Route 66.
The original plan was to turn the old Kan-O-Tex station into a farmer's market. But the Four Women now hope to develop up to 4 buildings near this intersection as Route 66 attractions. One may become a bed and breakfast and another may become the farmer's market.
This air-conditioned filling station is well on the way to total restoration. They are now selling hot food at the snack bar, plus offer antiques, Route 66 and "Car's" items, including several made by local craftspeople and artists. Outside the building there will be several vehicles, including the mining boom truck that inspired the character "Tow Mater" in the movie Cars. For trademark reasons, Four Women are calling their boom truck "Tow Tater". It still runs and can be hired to appear at special events.
The then Four Women on the Route scheduled a formal Grand Opening for the Spring of 2008 , and they welcome people to stop and look at the project while the nearby restoration work progresses.
Boom truck's owner
"Cars On The Route" Open for Business in Galena, Kansas
Building shown before restoration in the Fall of 2006
Building shown in mid-August of 2007
BEFORE, 2006 AFTER, Summer 2007 (Waiting for signs)
Right and Below: The station with new signage and "TATER" on display. Late summer '07.